Royals Netball Club is one of the oldest netball clubs in Western Australia, its outstanding success on and off the courts is unlikely to be surpassed anywhere in the world.
Originating as a team of young and eager players at Kent Street High School in 1953 and coached by an enthusiastic Physical Education teacher in Bette Allison, the Kent Street Greens went from strength to strength and in 1955 won the A2 premiership, just two years from the club's formation. Bette Allison's dream was to develop, in Western Australia women's netball, the skills necessary to be successful at club, interstate and international levels.
By 1960 there were three Kent Street teams in A1 division (Greens, Greys and Blues, later renamed Royals) with fierce competition between them. From 1953 1961 the games were played on the Perth foreshore at Langley Park.
The Kent Street teams moved to Wembley to what is now the Mathews Netball Centre when it was completed in 1961. In 1963, Kent Street was renamed as Royals Club. Until 1970, Netball as we know it was called Women's Basketball so Royals Club was later renamed Royals Netball Club.